Welcome to Amateur Radio Forum

WIN A RADIO! GIVEAWAYS EVERY MONTH!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VK3FRRR

Portable QRP Maroondah Reservoir Park

4 posts in this topic

On December 31 I made another trip to the beautiful Maroondah Reservoir Park near Healesville in Victoria.

This time I took two new military surplus aluminium 29 foot tripod masts to hang an End Fed Half Wave antenna at height. 

I also set up a Diamond VX1000 vertical 2M/70cm antenna on the top of one of the masts.

My main radio was the Yaesu FT 817.

Power was supplied by a 120W Sine Wave Inverter Solar Power Pack which contains an 18Ah battery, 2 x 12v outputs, 1 x 12v cigarette lighter output, 4 x USB power outputs and 2 x 120W 240V outputs. I only used the 12v output on the power pack and enjoyed a full day of power with the pack and solar panels.

During the day I worked the Solomon Islands, Phillipines, USA, ZL, VK6, VK5, VK3, VK2, VK7, VK4

Photos below.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0063.jpgIMG_0064.jpgIMG_0066.jpg

What is the maximum height you can get from those tripods Robert? What is the overall weight once disassembled and packed in their bag?

On 02/01/2017 at 1:53 PM, Greg VK4GJW said:

What is the maximum height you can get from those tripods Robert? What is the overall weight once disassembled and packed in their bag?

You can extend the tripod masts to 29 feet as they come, however some people buy extra sections and have had them up to 36 feet.

They are heavy when in the bag. The bags say "2 Soldier Carry" however I can easily move them into position from my car, I couldn't go far with them though.

On 03/01/2017 at 8:50 AM, Richard said:

Wot he said........And where did you get them?

They were purchased on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/antenna-tripod-29ft-aluminum-portable-tower-mast-kit-new/361384099911